Disney Plus is Disney’s official streaming service, which is available in large parts of the world. If you live in a country where Disney Plus has been launched already, you’ll be able to watch your favorite Disney movie at any time.
Unfortunately, Disney Plus blocks the IP addresses of many VPN servers. Do you want to stream in a protected way without endangering your privacy and online safety? Then you’ll need a VPN that works with Disney Plus. Try Surfshark, for example:
Disney has long since stopped being just about fairy tales and (fantastic) kids’ stories. Pixar movies, Marvel blockbusters, National Geographic documentaries, and even the Star Wars franchise are all part of Disney’s gigantic library. And you can find all of this content and more on Disney’s official streaming service: Disney Plus (Disney+).
New exclusive shows are released on Disney Plus on the regular, so if you don’t want to miss out on the action, you’ll need a subscription. In this article, we’ll tell you more about Disney+, the best content to enjoy there, and how to watch Disney Plus safely.
Watching Disney Plus Worldwide
Disney+ officially launched in 2019, with countries across the world slowly getting access over the years. The company gained over 28 million users in the first three months after its launch and brought some significant changes to the streaming market. Many people have even canceled their Netflix subscriptions to get a Disney Plus account instead.
However, not everyone has equal access to this streaming platform. Depending on where you live and how you use your computer, you could quickly run into various issues.
Here are the biggest problems users are faced with:
- Disney+ isn’t available everywhere. Currently, the platform is available in “various countries” in North America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific, Africa, and Europe. They’re still launching in new countries, but watching Disney Plus isn’t an option in some regions.
- Disney+ content isn’t the same everywhere. Some sections of Disney’s platform, like the “Star” category, can only be watched in certain countries. Watching Love, Victor on Disney Plus from the US, for example, won’t work. It simply won’t show up in the library, while it would if you were in Spain.
- Disney+ appears to block VPN connections. Disney blocks the use of proxies and VPNs. This makes it incredibly difficult for VPN users to watch anything from Snow White to Modern Family, even if they’re just using their VPN for safety.
- Disney+ streams might lag if you have a slow internet connection. Nothing is more annoying than having to wait an eternity for your stream to load. If your ISP is throttling your internet connection, it might become impossible to watch Full HD content.
In other words: not all is “happily ever after” for Disney Plus users. Not everyone has access to the same content. This is annoying by default, but can become particularly inconvenient when you’re halfway through a new show and find that you can’t watch the next episode because you’re on holiday abroad.
Disney Plus users have found effective ways to get around all of these hiccups. Although we cannot recommend trying to unblock Disney Plus by changing your virtual location, we do want to give our readers the opportunity to enjoy this fantastic platform without compromising the safety, privacy, and possibly increased speeds that a VPN can offer you.
How to Watch Disney Plus Safely With a VPN
A VPN gives you the opportunity to surf the web anonymously and freely. You’ll be able to safely navigate the web without your internet activity being visible to just about anyone. That’s why we advise any internet user to get themselves a trustworthy VPN.
Not all VPNs work with Disney, however. If you want to safely enjoy all content on Disney Plus, follow these steps:
- Subscribe to a trustworthy VPN provider that works with Disney. We recommend Surfshark. It has an excellent reputation for safety and is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, allowing you to stream freely without lag.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
- Download the VPN software on your streaming device. This works on your computer (Windows and Mac) but also via an app on your smartphone (Android and iOS).
- Sign in to the VPN software with the account you created in step 1.
- Connect to a server by picking one from the list and pressing the “Connect” button. For example: if you live in Germany, you can pick a server in Germany or elsewhere in the European Union.
- Head over to disneyplus.com.
- Click “Sign up for Disney+” at the bottom of the screen (or “Get all three” if you’re in the USA and wish to get the complete package that combines Disney with ad-free HULU and ESPN+).
- Fill in your email address and press “Agree and Continue.”
- Create a strong password and press “Continue.”
- Choose your subscription (monthly or annually), pick a payment method (credit card or PayPal), fill in your information, and press “Agree and subscribe.”
You now have access to all Disney Plus content available in your region so far. Browse the service for an old Disney classic, a sweet Pixar short, the official recording of Hamilton the Musical, the latest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or the newest Disney Plus originals, such as Loki or Star Wars Andor.
Best VPNs for Disney Plus
In an ideal world, one wouldn’t have to give up one’s privacy or safety in order to be able to watch a movie. Still, this is the reality when it comes to many streaming services, including Disney+. Disney actively blocks IP addresses from famous VPN providers, making it much harder to watch content while being protected by a VPN.
Luckily, there are a few VPN providers with servers that allow you to access Disney Plus. This way, you can enjoy this platform without sacrificing your safety. Here are three VPN providers that work with Disney Plus.
1. Surfshark: Cheap and reliable VPN for Disney Plus
- High speeds that are perfect for streaming
- All servers work with Disney Plus
- “No log” policy, kill switch, and CleanWeb adblocker option
- High-level security using OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2 protocols
Surfshark is, without a doubt, the best VPN for Disney Plus. All of its servers, regardless of their location, will give you access to the website and content of Disney. It doesn’t just work for computer and mobile devices, but also for Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and Smart TV.
On top of this, Surfshark also has excellent speeds on its servers, especially when using a server close to your location. During our tests of Surfshark, we noticed little to no lag when watching content online. In other words, streaming Disney Plus and other streaming services with Surfshark is effortless.
Even if you find that Surfshark isn’t working with Disney Plus, there are easy fixes. Surfshark recommends trying a different server and clearing your cookies. If that doesn’t work, you can use the 24/7 live chat on its website. Customer support will help you instantly.
When it comes to security, Surfshark has a great reputation, too. It doesn’t log your activity or your IP address, allowing you to safeguard your privacy while streaming. On top of that, it has useful extra security options, like an adblocker to keep your browser clean and an effective kill switch to keep your browsing safe.
To top it all off, Surfshark is one of the cheapest quality VPNs we’ve ever come across, costing just a couple of dollars a month.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
2. NordVPN: High levels of security while streaming
- Fast servers that work with Disney+ in 13 countries
- Doesn’t keep logs on you
- Useful security add-ons
- OpenVPN, NordLynx, and IKEv2/IPSec for security
NordVPN is one of the biggest and best VPNs for streaming. It has working servers for Disney+ in 13 countries: the United States, the Netherlands, Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, France, Finland, Brazil, and Turkey. Users in these countries will be able to safely access Disney Plus with just one click.
The speed of NordVPN’s servers is great, especially on local servers. If you’re in the Netherlands, for example, a Dutch NordVPN server will allow you to stream all Disney animated classics seamlessly, without unnecessary loading. NordVPN even works well with live streams, so handling HD content is no issue at all. It can be installed on whatever streaming device you have, including Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Android TV, and Google Chromecast.
Moreover, it’s one of the most secure VPNs out there. It keeps your connection private with high-level encryption and a proven “no log” policy. With NordVPN, you even get Threat Protection for free. This means you’ll be protected from malicious ads, phishing, and other online threats, allowing you to stream Disney Plus and browse the internet without a care in the world.
You can check out our detailed review of NordVPN for more information, or go straight to the website by clicking the button in the box below.
- Fast and large worldwide network of VPN servers
- Perfect for privacy and streaming
- Trusted by many, with over 14 million users
3. ExpressVPN: Fast connections at a premium price
- Working Disney Plus IPs in regions where it’s available
- Fast and consistent servers to get around speed throttling
- Simple, user-friendly interface
- Various secure protocols: OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, and Lightway
Another great VPN option for privacy, security, and speed while watching Disney Plus is ExpressVPN. Any ExpressVPN server in locations where Disney+ is available will give you access to the streaming service. It’ll allow you to watch anything from The Avengers to The Kardashians in blazing-fast HD.
ExpressVPN may not be the fastest VPN of this moment, but it does follow closely behind. This provider is known for its consistency: servers work well and won’t slow down your internet connection. In fact, you probably won’t even notice a difference in internet speed while watching Disney Plus movies and tv series, whether streaming on Samsung Smart TVs, Roku devices, or Android TVs.
One of the big advantages of ExpressVPN is its user-friendly interface. You just need to click the big “on”-button, and you’ll be connected. Using ExpressVPN means you’re protected by excellent protocols and high-level encryption. Safe browsing becomes a given with ExpressVPN, since they (and we) believe that every internet user has the right to protect their online presence.
Unfortunately, ExpressVPN is quite expensive compared to Surfshark and NordVPN. Regardless, its quality is high and consistent. We wouldn’t recommend this VPN for Disney Plus if you’re on a budget, but if you’re looking for the real premium experience, ExpressVPN is exactly what you need.
- Very easy-to-use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e., Netflix)
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
What If Disney Plus Doesn’t Work With Your VPN?
Not all VPNs work with Disney+. Even different servers from the same VPN provider might have different results. Worst case scenario, you’ll be protected by the VPN, but won’t be able to access your favorite content. Does this mean you’ll have to turn off your VPN in order to watch Disney Plus? Not necessarily.
Here are a few easy tricks to fix this problem:
- Delete your cookies and trackers or open a window in incognito mode before you visit the Disney Plus website. The trackers in your browser could prevent you from reaching the right page, especially if you’ve recently used multiple different VPN servers. By deleting your cookies or browsing in a private browsing window, you’ll look like a new visitor and be able to access the website.
- Try a different VPN server. Disney may have blocked the IP address of the VPN server you’re using. Luckily, our recommended Disney Plus VPNs have multiple servers per server location, so you can easily switch to a different one. With NordVPN, you’ll be able to pick a different server manually. With Surfshark, however, you’ll have to reconnect until you’re assigned a different IP. If you want to check which IP address you’re currently using, head over to our “What is my IP?” tool.
- Try a different browser or device. Sometimes, websites use more thorough methods of tracking than simply looking at your cookies and IP address. This is called browser fingerprinting. Using a different browser or a different device (for example your phone instead of your laptop or smart tv) can help you get around this kind of tracking and avoid misunderstandings about your location that might arise from your VPN use.
What if Disney Plus doesn’t allow your payment method?
Disney will check your payment information when you want to sign up. This means that, in some cases, you might not be able to register for an account. If your PayPal account or credit card isn’t from a country where Disney Plus is available, they’ll refuse your payment. This is especially inconvenient if you have moved to a country with Disney Plus access (like the US), but your payment details are still registered in a country without access.
Don’t worry. There’s a workaround: paying with Google Play or iTunes gift cards. This won’t work in desktop web browsers: Using a smartphone is the easiest way to get this done. Here’s what you’ll have to do:
- Get a phone number from the country you want to use to register on Disney Plus. If you don’t have that at the moment, apps like textPlus allow you to do this for free. You’ll need this phone number to create a Google or Apple account, especially if you’ll register for a US Google account.
- Use a VPN to connect to a server from the US. We recommend Surfshark, as it’s an affordable and fast choice.
- Create an account for Google Play or iTunes. For Google Play, make sure you also create an Amazon account.
- If you use Google Play, go to Amazon and purchase a gift card. If you use iTunes, go to any Apple gift card distributor (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) and buy a gift card. Each gift card is registered to a country, so make sure you buy one from the country where you made your account.
- Tie the gift card to your account. If you followed each step so far, you should be able to add the gift card to your balance.
- Download the Disney Plus app on your smartphone from the Google Play Store, or the Apple App Store.
- Sign up with your new email address, then pay with the gift card you associated with your account.
Which Countries Have Access to Disney Plus?
Currently, Disney Plus is available in the following places:
- Africa: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen
- Asia and the Pacific: Australia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand
- Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United Kingdom
- North America: Canada, Mexico, and the United States
- South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Caribbean, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and Venezuela
Vietnam will also allegedly launch Disney Plus in early 2023.
As Disney Plus grew into an international platform, it branched off in local versions, each with its own content and specialties. Two big differences in libraries can be seen in the content on Disney Hotstar and the category Star.
What is Disney Hotstar?
Hotstar has been an extremely popular streaming platform in India for years. When Disney Plus was launched in India in 2020, this was done in collaboration with this local service, creating Disney Hotstar. As a result, this version of the streaming service by the Walt Disney company contains a bigger library, combining the content on Hotstar and Disney into one.
Disney Hotstar was quickly launched in other parts of Asia as well, including Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand. Vietnam’s version of Disney Plus will also be launched through Hotstar.
Each of these versions of Disney Hotstar comes with its unique library, showing the well-known Disney titles that we’re already familiar with, but also diving into other content. The Indonesian version of Disney Hotstar, for example, includes special “Exclusives from Indonesia,” such as Keluarga Cemara, KKN Di Desa PEnari, and I Need You Baby.
To log into some local versions of Disney Hotstar, you need to enter your (local) phone number. The Indonesian version, for example, asks for a phone number starting with +62. This differs from the login process on Disney Plus, which just requires an email and password combination.
Which countries have access to Star?
Disney Star is a special section of Disney Plus that includes tons of entertainment from ABC, HULU, Freeform, and other services. You’ll find incredibly popular movies and series on Star, including The Walking Dead, How I Met Your Mother, The Simpsons, The Hate You Give, and Love, Simon.
The launch of Star massively broadened the Disney Plus library and made it even more competitive when compared to major platforms like Netflix.
Like the country-specific sections on Disney Hotstar, Star isn’t available in every country. Since Star includes shows and films from various sources, its availability differs a lot depending on the region.
- Star included in your Disney Plus/Disney Hotstar subscription: Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, and Canada
- Star content available on Star+, an additional streaming service: Latin America
- Star not available: United States, countries where Disney Plus hasn’t aired (yet)
Why can’t I watch Disney Star from the US?
A lot of content shown on Star is owned by the US-based HULU. This streaming service has its own subscription. In the US, you can get a HULU subscription along with your Disney Plus subscription for a discounted price using the Disney bundle, but HULU isn’t available in other parts of the world. Disney is now partly bridging this gap by introducing Star. This does mean you won’t get access to Star when using a US IP address.
Disney Plus and Unblocking
If you are in a country where Disney Plus isn’t available, or where Disney Star hasn’t been launched, you won’t get access to all Disney Plus content. You might be able to create an account, but encounter an error that the service isn’t available in your country. This is mostly due to distribution rights.
Many people use a VPN or other so-called “unblocking” tools to watch Disney Plus content that wouldn’t normally be available to them. For example, a user in the United States might connect to a VPN server in France or Canada in order to be able to watch Star content. As a result, they wouldn’t need a separate Hulu account or the US Disney bundle subscription.
While this is an effective method, Disney is actively fighting the use of unblocking tools.
Disney Plus’s user agreement on geoblocking
At the time of writing, Disney Plus’s terms and conditions don’t mention VPNs directly. Instead, the user agreement mentions that Disney Plus has geographical restrictions to its content and uses different technologies and methods to determine your physical location.
This agreement doesn’t ban VPN use outright, but terms and conditions can change. There is a chance that Disney Plus will take measures against users who try to access their services with a VPN, for example by blocking their account.
Should you use a VPN to unblock Disney Plus?
Disney is working with geoblocks and VPN blocks to stop users from accessing libraries in different countries. A Disney Plus VPN might help you access content from other countries. The same applies to other streaming providers and VPNs, for example, Hulu VPNs.
Before you try to use a VPN to access Disney Plus’s content from a different country, please check the user agreement. You can find this at the bottom of their website. If the agreement has changed or is different in your country, you could be violating it by using a VPN to unblock content. Any possible consequences resulting from this are down to the user.
Why Use a VPN to Watch Disney Plus?
You might wonder whether you should bother with a VPN at all if you can’t use it to unblock those classic Disney movies. The answer, as far as we’re concerned, is yes.
There are two main reasons why people might choose to use a VPN in combination with Disney Plus, beyond accessing geo-restricted content:
- More online privacy and safety: Your IP address reveals all sorts of personal information about you, such as your location. Websites, along with every other party that has access to your online data, can read this information and adjust their content accordingly. Many VPN users constantly have their VPN connection activated, no matter what they do on the internet. This helps them take back control over their privacy. These people will also want to access Disney Plus with a VPN.
- Increased speeds: Some internet providers may throttle your internet speed, meaning you won’t be able to browse and stream at the fastest speed possible. Providers might do this to put a stop to downloading and torrenting, for example. These manually placed limits on your internet speed can easily be circumvented with a VPN. Simply connect to a server, and you’ll be able to use your connection to its full potential. In other words: no more unnecessary lagging or loading while you’re watching that exciting Marvel action sequence!
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) helps you hide and change your IP address. It does so by routing your internet connection through the VPN provider’s own servers in different countries. With a VPN connection, websites will think you’re navigating from a different location, and they won’t be able to track you as much as they would otherwise.
The Best Movies and Shows on Disney Plus
Are you wondering what kind of content is waiting for you behind that paywall? Here are some of the best movies and shows that Disney Plus is currently offering.
Popular shows on Disney Plus:
- Andor (Star Wars prequel)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
- The Mandalorian
- The Bad Batch
- She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
- Ms. Marvel
- Moon Knight
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series
- Love, Victor (Star)
- Glee (Star)
- The Simpsons (Star)
- The Walking Dead (Star)
- Modern Family (Star)
- How I Met Your Mother (Star)
Popular movies on Disney Plus:
- Hamilton the Musical
- Hocus Pocus 2
- Thor: Love and Thunder
- Not Okay
- Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
- Turning Red
- Mary Poppins Returns
- West Side Story
- Red Sparrow (Star)
- Edward Scissorhands (Star)
- Bohemian Rhapsody (Star)
Disney Plus also has content from other platforms, such as Hulu. You can watch Saint X and several popular mystery series that were first created on other streaming platforms on Disney Plus.
Final Thoughts: How to Watch Disney Plus Safely
Disney Plus has diverse content ranging from Cinderella to Hamilton and from National Geographic documentaries to The Simpsons. Moreover, it’s one of the cheapest services out there. Still, if you won’t be able to enjoy this content without giving up the safety of your VPN, you might wonder whether it’s worth getting a subscription.
Luckily, some VPN providers have servers that work with Disney Plus, anyway. If you’re wondering how to watch Disney Plus safely, we recommend Surfshark. This VPN will allow you to enjoy all Disney content while staying protected with a secure internet connection. Do keep in mind that you’ll always need a (paid) Disney Plus subscription before you get access to their streaming services.
When you get a Disney Plus subscription, you’ll have to agree with the company’s terms and conditions. Although those don’t seem to mention VPNs at this moment, agreements can change. Keep in mind that using a VPN to unblock Disney Plus content from another country might be in violation of Disney’s rules.
Do you have a question on how to watch Disney Plus safely? Take a look at our FAQ below and click on a question to see its answer!
With a VPN, you can enjoy Disney Plus without giving up your security and online anonymity. Unfortunately, Disney Plus blocks IP addresses from a number of well-known VPN providers. Luckily, there are still some VPN providers, like Surfshark, that offer servers that allow you to safely watch series and movies on Disney Plus.
We recommend Surfshark to watch Disney Plus safely. All of their servers, regardless of their location, will give you access to the content of Disney Plus. Surfshark is a very good provider that will protect your internet connection while also allowing you to stream as you normally would. On top of all of that, Surfshark is very cheap!
Disney Plus is available in most parts of the world, including various countries in Africa, North and South America, Europe, Asia, and the Pacific. It is scheduled to become available in Vietnam in early 2023.
Star is included in your Disney Plus subscription in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, and Canada. If you’re in Latin America, Star content will be available on a separate platform called Star+. Are you in the United States? Then you won’t have access to Star. Instead, you’ll find a lot of Star content on HULU.