Netflix is really good at blocking people that use VPNs. That is why you need a reliable premium VPN that works with Netflix. But don’t worry about researching all of your options.
We tested 50+ VPN providers so you don’t have to. Here’s our top five of the best Netflix VPNs:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Netflix
- Surfshark: An affordable and reliable VPN to watch Netflix on unlimited devices
- ExpressVPN: A premium VPN provider with great customer support
- CyberGhost: A user-friendly VPN with dedicated servers for unblocking Netflix
- PIA: A privacy-focused VPN with tons of servers
Based on our tests, the overall best VPN for Netflix is NordVPN. It has excellent streaming speeds and can unblock the American Netflix library among plenty more.
Think you’ve seen everything Netflix has to offer? Think again! Every country has a different Netflix library, so if you’re not checking every catalog Netflix has to offer, then you’re missing out. But how can you access another country’s library? With a VPN, of course.
For this article, we tested over 50 VPNs to find the best VPN for Netflix. Based on our rigorous tests, we discovered that one provider is ahead of the rest: NordVPN. With its vast server network, robust encryption, strong security features, and super-fast speeds, you can rest assured that it will unblock your favorite Netflix library in seconds.
Due to a change in the way the streaming company deals with proxies and VPN IP addresses you might not always be able to access geo-specific content on Netflix using a VPN. The tips in this article work at the time of writing, but this could change in the (near) future. We will continue to review and test Netflix VPNs to ensure we provide the most current information.
Which VPN Is Best for Netflix?
The best VPN for Netflix must have a good track record of unblocking Netflix’s geo-restrictions, a wide server network, and dedicated IP addresses. The latter is especially important for getting around tough Netflix geo-blocks. After testing dozens of providers, we discovered that there are several premium VPNs that work with Netflix.
In the table below, we outline the key characteristics of our top five best Netflix VPNs.
|Number of servers||5,600+||3,200+||3,000+||9,000+||33,000+|
|Number of libraries unblocked||16+||100||94||88||84|
|Dedicated IP address||✔||✖||✖||✔||✔|
|Price per month||$3.49||$2.30||$6.67||$2.11||$2.03|
|Money-back guarantee||30 days||30 days||30 days||45 days||30 days|
|Download||Get NordVPN||Get Surfshark||Get ExpressVPN||Get CyberGhost||Get PIA|
Below, we dive deeper into the features of the best Netflix VPNs.
1. NordVPN: The best VPN for accessing Netflix libraries worldwide
Subscribe if you:
- Want Netflix unblocked from over 60 countries
- Need the guarantee that your VPN can unblock US streaming libraries
- Want a trusty VPN to bypass geo-restrictions
- Value strong encryption, advanced security features, and verified no-logs policy
- Want high speeds while streaming
Don't subscribe if you:
- Are very picky about user interface (Other VPNs are a bit more pleasing to the eye, and slightly easier to use)
NordVPN is our best VPN for Netflix. It will help you bypass restrictions on Netflix and stream content in HD and even 4K. With over 5,600 servers in 60 countries, NordVPN ensures you can access just about any Netflix catalog. In our tests, we could watch movies and shows that were not available in our country.
For instance, Shawshank Redemption is not available in the US. However, by using a VPN connection to a Canadian server, we were able to watch the timeless classic.
In addition, NordVPN’s 10Gbps servers ensure the best speeds when watching Netflix with a VPN, making NordVPN the best VPN for streaming.
During our NordVPN tests, it only took us three seconds to connect to a Canadian server and stream Shawshank Redemption with no hiccups. We especially liked that the first server we connected to worked like a charm, and we didn’t have to try different servers. And even if that didn’t happen, with NordVPN’s dedicated IP addresses, we could always circumvent geo-restrictions.
You can unblock Netflix’s foreign libraries in Australia, Canada, Japan, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom immediately after downloading and installing NordVPN. No configurations are required. Moreover, you can use this VPN to watch Paramount Plus and other popular streaming platforms.
How NordVPN unblocks Netflix
- NordLynx: One of the best VPN protocols on the market, which will help you stream content from all streaming platforms much faster.
- SmartPlay: This is a SmartDNS feature built into NordVPN and further masks your identity when accessing Netflix.
- Obfuscated servers: These servers have specialized technology, so Netflix can’t figure out you’re using a VPN.
- Meshnet tech: This feature lets you simulate a LAN connection across households, letting you bypass the recent Netflix password-sharing restrictions.
- Fast and large worldwide network of VPN servers
- Perfect for privacy and streaming
- Trusted by many, with over 14 million users
If you’re interested in learning more about why this provider is the best Netflix VPN, check out our NordVPN review. You can also take advantage of NordVPN’s free trial to test out the service for yourself!
2. Surfshark: Affordable VPN for watching Netflix on unlimited devices
Subscribe if you:
- Want to unblock Netflix in the US, the UK, Canada, and other locations
- Are on a budget and need an affordable VPN
- Want to use your VPN on as many devices as possible
Don't subscribe if you:
- Need a larger variety of servers
The Surfshark app is extremely user-friendly, and it provides excellent speeds. This provider has a great customer support team, and the chances that you’ll experience any lag or other issues are slim. Of course, Surfshark is also adept at sidestepping Netflix’s efforts to block VPN use, which is one of the reasons it is on our best VPN for Netflix list.
At the time of writing, we could access Netflix libraries in the US, Canada, Australia, and the UK using Surfshark. On top of that, we could do this on an unlimited number of devices using just one Surfshark account. In other words, if you use Surfshark, you and your entire family can stream films and series simultaneously! Here’s Surfshark streaming Netflix on Android while we were traveling.
Its incredibly affordable price also makes Surfshark a worthwhile VPN to watch Netflix. You can use Surfshark on your PC, mobile phone, and Android TV.
How Surfshark unblocks Netflix
- Dedicated IP address: Surfshark users can purchase dedicated IP addresses so they don’t share them with other users and get guaranteed access to Netflix no matter what.
- Surfshark browser extension: This makes streaming from your browser smoother and faster.
- Very user-friendly and works with Netflix and torrents
- 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked!
- Cheap with many extra options
Still in doubt about whether Surfshark is the best VPN for Netflix streaming? You can get a free trial of Surfshark thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. You can also read our full Surfshark review to learn more about this provider.
3. ExpressVPN: Premium VPN with great customer support
Subscribe if you:
- Expect you'll need customer service aid to unblock Netflix
- Want to unblock other services as well, like Peacock, HBO Max, and Hulu
- Need a VPN compatible with Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, iPhone, routers, and more
Don't subscribe if you:
- Are on a budget
ExpressVPN is a great VPN to get Netflix unblocked. We tested ExpressVPN extensively, and we were able to access the Netflix libraries of different countries, including the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Spain, France, and Germany.
Even in the face of Netflix’s campaign against VPN use, ExpressVPN continues to bypass its geo-blocks and is a reliable VPN that works with Netflix. To do so, ExpressVPN is constantly updating its server’s IP addresses. This is how they ensure you can continue to access Netflix from anywhere in the world without restrictions.
Fridays are for It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, the show wasn’t available in our test country. To bypass the Netflix block, we fired up ExpressVPN and connected it to a UK server where the show is available.
But what if it won’t work in your country? ExpressVPN’s customer service team will help you find a compatible server. You can use the 24/7 live chat feature to contact ExpressVPN’s team around the clock. When we reached out to their customer support, we got a response in under five seconds, and this is also one of the reasons ExpressVPN is on our best VPN for Netflix list.
Plus, its server network is pretty good. ExpressVPN offers high-speed VPN servers in 94 countries. In our tests, it also helped us unblock other major streaming services like Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Peacock, HBO Max, and Hulu.
How ExpressVPN unblocks Netflix
- MediaStreamer: A smart DNS tool developed by ExpressVPN. Like SmartPlay, it helps you access streaming platforms by masking your identity online.
- Browser extension: This is a great feature for streaming Netflix in your browser.
- Lightway protocol: One of the best protocols to guarantee fast connection speeds while streaming Netflix.
- Very easy-to-use VPN
- Perfect for anonymous browsing, downloading, and streaming (i.e., Netflix)
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
Still unsure whether this is the right provider for you? ExpressVPN’s free trial in the form of a 30-day money-back guarantee lets you try the VPN before committing to a long-term subscription. So, if you’re unhappy with your experience, you can simply ask for your money back. You can learn more about this provider in our ExpressVPN review.
4. CyberGhost: User-friendly VPN with dedicated servers for streaming Netflix
Subscribe if you:
- Want dedicated Netflix streaming servers with great speeds
- Want to unblock other platforms as well, like Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max
- Need quick access to customer support via live chat
- Appreciate a smooth, well-designed app
Don't subscribe if you:
- Have a weak base connection speed
CyberGhost is easy to use and has a great interface on its desktop and mobile apps, so it definitely deserves a place in our best Netflix VPN list. You can access over 9,000 servers in 91 countries, which gives you plenty of options to bypass geo-restrictions on Netflix and access foreign libraries.
In addition, CyberGhost has optimized streaming servers. From our research, we found that they can unblock American, British, German, and French Netflix libraries.
CyberGhost VPN also offers its users optimized streaming servers for different devices. For example, there are optimized streaming servers for Netflix on Android and Netflix on Fire Stick, as you can see below.
We could connect up to seven devices simultaneously with just one CyberGhost account. This means you can stream Netflix on multiple devices, such as your laptop, phone, and gaming consoles, with one subscription. In fact, you can also use CyberGhost to stream Netflix on your smart TV, as it is one of the best VPNs for smart TVs.
How CyberGhost unblocks Netflix
- Dedicated US Netflix server: Specifically made to guarantee you can unblock the US Netflix library.
- Optimized streaming servers: These will help you unblock any other streaming platform you want to binge something on.
- Dedicated IP addresses: You can use these to access geo-restricted content even if platforms get more resilient in the future.
- Very user-friendly
- High quality for a low price
- Torrents and Netflix possible
5. PIA: Privacy-focused VPN with plenty of servers to choose from
Subscribe if you:
- Want to reliably unblock Netflix US, UK, Japan, Netherlands, Brazil, Canada
- Want dedicated servers for Netflix and other streaming platforms
- Appreciate extra security features and guarantees
- Want an affordable Netflix VPN
Don't subscribe if you:
- Don't have a strong base connection speed
Private Internet Access (PIA) is another top VPN that works with Netflix US, so it earns a spot in our best VPN for Netflix list. Users have reported problems with less popular Netflix libraries, but at the time of writing, we could bypass Netflix blocks in the US, UK, Japan, Netherlands, Brazil, and Canada.
PIA has a minimalist design that helps you get what you need fast. The VPN service was straightforward to download and install. Then, we were able to connect to a US VPN server in no time.
Apart from PIA’s wide server network of 33,000 servers, the provider also stands out for its privacy features. The company says it does not keep any logs and offers strong encryption and protocols. It’s also priced reasonably. The only problem we encountered in our tests was inconsistent speeds, which can lead to lag. But with a strong base connection, you can get around that.
How PIA unblocks Netflix
- Easy to use: If you’re new to VPNs, PIA is a great option. Downloading, installing, and using the VPN is very straightforward.
- Speed-enhancing customizations: This is especially great for users with slower connection speeds that might need to tweak their VPN for the best performance.
- Dedicated IP addresses: PIA also offers dedicated IP addresses that help you bypass Netflix restrictions globally.
- Strong focus on privacy and security
- Good price
- Fast and stable servers
If you want to try PIA for free, it’s good to know that they also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. Read our full Private Internet Access review for more information.
How We Chose the Best VPNs for Netflix
If you’re looking for the best VPN to get Netflix unblocked and bypass online censorship and other geo-restrictions, these are the essential features to consider when making a choice:
- Access to Netflix: Not all VPN providers can bypass Netflix’s geo-restrictions. This is the most important feature to consider when choosing a VPN for Netflix.
- Speed: When streaming on Netflix or any other platform, speed is important. If your connection is too slow, the video will start buffering, and Netflix will downgrade your video quality. That’s why you should choose a fast VPN.
- Server network: The best VPN for Netflix will help you access Netflix libraries of different countries across the globe by offering VPN servers in several locations. Netflix is constantly looking for ways to identify and block VPNs and proxy servers. As a result, some servers may be unable to access Netflix from time to time.
- Customer service: If a provider has good customer service, they can guide you to a server that is not yet blocked and help you deal with any other issues you may encounter.
- Dedicated IP address: Netflix is likely to block an IP address when they notice many people are using it. Using a dedicated IP address, which is only used by you, eliminates the chances of this happening.
Out of the dozens of VPNs we tested, NordVPN checked all the boxes for the best and most reliable Netflix VPN. In our tests, it scored highly on speeds, price, ease of use, device compatibility, and the number of Netflix libraries unblocked. Moreover, NordVPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, in addition to fantastic discounts!
Our Top 5 Netflix VPNs: Speed Test Results
Speed is probably one of the most important criteria when picking a Netflix VPN. To make your job easier, we tested the performance of each VPN on this list. Here are the results.
|Provider||Download speed (Mbps)||Upload speed (Mbps)||Ping (ms)|
|Our connection (without a VPN)||503.51||482.11||3|
As you can see from the table above, NordVPN is the fastest VPN. It had the highest download and upload speeds compared to other providers. Specifically, its upload speeds were far superior to the rest of the VPNs in our best Netfix VPN list. If you want Netflix unblocked, it’s the best pick.
How to Bypass Netflix Password-Sharing Restrictions
With the recent changes Netflix has announced regarding its password-sharing policy, not every VPN that works with Netflix is good enough. Users can only bypass Netflix’s password-sharing ban if they have the same IP address as the account owner. But luckily, there is a fix for that as well.
Our best VPN for Netflix, NordVPN, not only unblocks Netflix but also offers a mesh (interlinked) network. By using NordVPN’s free mesh network, which allows up to 50 devices to connect to one Wi-Fi network simultaneously and remotely, you can connect to Netflix with the account owner’s IP address. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the NordVPN website and sign up for an account.
- Download and install the appropriate NordVPN app for your device.
- Open the app and click on the Meshnet icon, as indicated below.
- Toggle the switch next to Meshnet to turn it on.
- Click “Continue” to read how the Meshnet works and protects your personal information.
- Tap “Link Devices” in the main Meshnet interface. Here, you can see your assigned username and IP address.
- When you turn on Meshnet on your other devices, they will be linked automatically to it.
- If you want to invite other users, tap “Link external device” and enter their email address to send an invitation.
This way, your family and your friends can link to your home PC remotely and connect to Netflix as if they are using that PC. This comes in handy when you’re traveling or when family and friends are in a different location from yours.
Can You Use a Free VPN to Watch Netflix?
Although some free VPNs can bypass geo-restrictions and get Netflix unblocked, we generally don’t recommend using a free VPN for Netflix for the following reasons:
- Your data and privacy could be compromised: Free VPN providers may sell the information they collect about you to other parties in a bid to generate revenue.
- You might experience poor customer service: Most free VPNs don’t meet high customer service standards. In fact, free VPN services often won’t provide any customer service at all. This means there’s no one to help you if you can’t unblock Netflix using their service.
- You’ll have fewer options to outsmart Netflix: Most free VPNs don’t have the resources to one-up Netflix’s geo-restrictions. As a result, they can’t always unblock Netflix.
- You might run into data limits: The best free VPNs offer only up to 10 GB of monthly data. You need up to 3 GB of data to stream a one-hour episode in HD. At most, you’ll be able to watch three episodes of your favorite show.
Not ready to pay for a VPN subscription yet? Don’t worry, as many of the best Netflix VPNs offer a free trial or a money-back guarantee.
Which Free VPNs Can I Use to Unblock Netflix?
Although free VPNs are not ideal for streaming, we’ve conducted tests to determine the safest and best free Netflix VPNs. You can read our comprehensive free Netflix VPN review to see our test results. Below we include a free VPN for Netflix list with the best providers.
1. PrivadoVPN: Best free VPN for Netflix with obfuscation technology
PrivadoVPN is the best VPN for Netflix that is free. If you want to stream movies and series from Netflix, try PrivadoVPN. The provider uses obfuscation technology to hide the fact that you’re using a VPN. During our PrivadoVPN tests, we were able to stream non-US libraries with no issues, but we did experience some problems trying to access US Netflix.
Privado has great security features, including 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch that cuts off your connection to the internet if the VPN malfunctions. The only drawback is that you have a 10 GB data limit each month. Moreover, you can also only access servers in only 10 countries.
Still, PrivadoVPN is one of the best Netflix VPNs available at no cost.
2. Windscribe: Free Netflix VPN that works on all major operating systems
Windscribe is a free VPN provider that works on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. If you are a Linux user, Windscribe may be a good VPN for you. The provider has paid subscription plans, and its free plan can unblock the US Netflix library, even though this is a bit of a hit-and-miss. We tried several servers without success before we found one that could connect to Netflix.
Moreover, while Windscribe says it doesn’t log user data, the provider suffered a security breach in July 2021 when Ukrainian authorities seized its VPN servers. However, Windscribe has learned from that mistake and is now moving forward.
You get a 2 GB monthly data limit when you sign up for Windscribe. If you give Windscribe your email address, they increase your allowance to 10 GB. Moreover, Windscribe has servers in 65+ countries, so there are plenty of servers to choose from.
3. TunnelBear: VPN for Netflix with strong encryption
TunnelBear has a wide server network covering 42 countries, which makes it easier to find a server to work with Netflix. Initially, we did experience some issues trying to get Netflix unblocked during our TunnelBear tests. However, after changing some settings (switching servers and protocols), we could use this VPN to watch Netflix libraries in Germany and the United Kingdom.
TunnelBear offers solid AES-256 encryption and obfuscation technology. Hence, you are less likely to get blocked by streaming services. It also has apps for various operating systems, including Windows, macOS, and Android. Moreover, you can also opt for TunnelBear browser extensions.
Unfortunately, TunnelBear has a data cap of 500 Mb, which can be problematic if you want to use it exclusively for streaming. A one-hour HD episode of your favorite show will require you to stream about 3 GB of data.
TunnelBear can be a temporary option as a free VPN that works with Netflix.
Why Doesn’t Netflix Work With Every VPN?
Netflix has contracts with producers and film distributors all over the world. Depending on the type of license it can acquire, some content may only be available in specific countries.
There isn’t really a Netflix VPN ban, but the provider checks your IP address instead to determine your location and whether you should have access to certain content. Netflix knows many people around the globe are using VPNs to bypass its geo-restrictions. That’s why it has systems to detect if they are using the same IP address.
When Netflix blocks your IP address, instead of being able to watch movies or series, you get an error message instructing you to turn off your proxy connection or unblocking tool.
If you encounter any problems with your VPN app, you can try any of our recommended fixes for common VPN issues. However, if you use a premium VPN provider like NordVPN, you should have no problem gaining access to the Netflix library you want. You can also use NordVPN’s free trial to test its features without committing.
VPNs to Avoid Using With Netflix
Even though there are some excellent VPNs for Netflix out there, there are also some options we strongly suggest you avoid. You’ll find which VPNs you should avoid using with Netflix in the table below.
|VPN Provider||Why You Should Avoid It|
|IPVanish||Netflix has blocked this VPN provider.|
|PureVPN||It doesn’t unblock Netflix libraries apart from Netflix US, has low speeds, and offers unstable servers.|
|HolaVPN||It does not offer secure encryption, logs user data, and doesn’t unblock Netflix.|
Conclusion: The Best VPNs to Unblock Netflix
The best VPN for Netflix will give you access to all of Netflix’s libraries around the world. But since Netflix checks your IP address to determine your location, you’ll need a VPN to change your IP and make Netflix believe you’re logging into the platform from the location of the library you’re trying to access. However, before you use a VPN, ensure you read Netflix’s user agreement first.
Based on our extensive research of 50+ VPN providers, we wholeheartedly recommend NordVPN as the best Netflix VPN. NordVPN can bypass geo-restrictions and allow you to access Netflix content worldwide. Moreover, NordVPN offers reliable servers with ultra-fast speeds and affordable prices for its subscription plans.
It’s also possible to use a free VPN to watch Netflix, but we don’t recommend this for security reasons and due to data (and speed) caps.
Want to unblock other streaming sites? Check out our articles below:
- How to Watch Hulu From Anywhere in the World
- How to Watch Disney Plus (and Star) Safely
- How to Watch HBO Max From Anywhere in the World
Below, you’ll find quick answers to some common questions about unblocking Netflix with a VPN. Click on a question to see the answer. If you run into problems or have a specific question, leave a comment below, and we’ll help you out.
NordVPN is the overall best VPN for Netflix. This provider can successfully unblock Netflix libraries worldwide. It can also unblock Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and other streaming platforms! To find out more read our in-depth NordVPN review.
Netflix has identified the IP addresses of various VPN servers and blocks users when they connect using them. However, the best VPNs for Netflix have numerous servers for you to choose from to avoid detection.
Unless you’re in a country where using a VPN is prohibited, you’ve got nothing to worry about. However, Netflix discourages the use of VPNs and is actively trying to block VPN servers from accessing the platform. Check out our article on the legality of VPNs for more information.
Netflix only has the right to show certain content in certain countries. This is why the company enforces geo-restrictions and tries to block users from using VPNs to access blocked content. Netflix hopes to get global licenses for all the movies and TV shows on its platform, but that may not happen soon.
You can watch Netflix with some free Netflix VPNs. However, most free VPNs won’t work with Netflix because the platform has blocked the IP addresses of their servers. If you can access Netflix with a free VPN, you’ll have to contend with slow connections and low data limits.
Watching Netflix with a VPN is simple. Just follow the steps below:
- Get a subscription with your provider of choice. We recommend NordVPN for its excellent unblocking capabilities.
- Download and install the VPN provider.
- Connect to the right VPN server (for instance, a US server if you want to access the US Netflix library)
- Log into the Netflix website or app.
- Stream your favorite movie or show!
For more information, check out our article on the best VPNs for Netflix.
Netflix may recognize that you’re trying to access its content with a VPN or proxy server. The company has a list of known IP addresses belonging to proxies and VPNs that it blocks. If you try to watch Netflix with a VPN or proxy and are unsuccessful, this may be why.
The best VPN country for Netflix is the US. The American Netflix library is the most expansive in the world, featuring amazing movies and TV shows. Other great options include Canada, Japan, Australia, Turkey, the UK, and South Korea.