A good VPN doesn’t have to leave a dent in your budget. We reviewed and tested over 25 VPNs and determined the following to be the most affordable — without sacrificing your security:
- Surfshark: The best cheap VPN service overall
- CyberGhost: Beginner-friendly VPN with the longest money-back guarantee
- Private Internet Access (PIA): Cheap VPN with a massive server spread in the US
- FastestVPN: Bargain VPN with lifetime subscription
- AdGuard VPN: Affordable VPN ideal for browsing in restrictive countries
- Windscribe VPN: A cheap VPN that allows you to build your own plan
- Atlas VPN: Cheap long-term VPN with a free plan
From our checks, Surfshark is the best cheap VPN, with robust security and privacy features and fast speeds at cutthroat prices.
A VPN will help you surf the internet safely and anonymously by encrypting your traffic and hiding your IP address. However, you don’t have to pay huge sums for a VPN service, especially if you’re getting one for personal use.
We tested more than 25 VPNs, comparing their features, performance, and prices. In this article, we’ll reveal the seven cheapest VPN services. Best of all: you can get an exclusive discount by clicking the orange button under each VPN’s section.
If you’re in a hurry, Surfshark is the best value VPN, offering a fine mix of over 3,000 servers, fast speeds, and robust security features for just over a couple of dollars.
The Top 7 Cheap VPN Providers of 2023
We’ve summarized the main features of the top five cheapest VPNs in the price comparison table below. That way, you can compare their features and prices at a glance. To see our full list of the seven cheapest VPNs, keep reading below.
|VPN Provider||Surfshark||CyberGhost||PIA||FastestVPN||AdGuard VPN|
|Number of Countries||100||90+||84||30+||50+|
|Best Price (VPN cost per month)||$2.30/month for two years (plus two free months)||$2.11/month for two years (plus two free months)||$2.11/month for two years (two free months)||$40 (lifetime)||$2.99/month for two years|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days||45 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
|Purchase Link||Get Surfshark||Get CyberGhost||Get PIA VPN||Get FastestVPN||Get AdGuard VPN|
Now, let’s delve deep into each of our cheap VPN choices and explain why they’re on the list. It’s worth noting that all these VPN services boast key features, including robust AES encryption, a kill switch to prevent data leakage when your VPN connection drops, and a strict no-logs policy.
1. Surfshark: The overall best cheap VPN provider
Surfshark has proven to be a lightning-fast VPN service with robust security; it can unblock Netflix and all other major streaming services, and you can use it with an unlimited number of devices. The best part? Surfshark VPN costs just $2.30 per month when you get a two-year subscription.
Why we picked Surfshark as the best cheap VPN service:
- Over 3,200 servers in 100 countries, giving you multiple server options regardless of your location and reducing the chances of server overcrowding.
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and all major streaming services
- Lightning-fast speeds so you don’t experience lags or delays while streaming or gaming
- Easy-to-use dedicated Linux app, making it the best VPN for Linux users
- Unlimited connections, which allows you to use the VPN on as many devices as you want
We recommend Surfshark if you love streaming movies, TV shows, and games but don’t want to leave a dent in your budget. It’s also the best VPN provider for any data-intensive activity like torrenting and gaming on a budget.
Interested in knowing more about this premium VPN service? Check out our full Surfshark review for a comprehensive rundown.
2. CyberGhost: Beginner-friendly VPN with the longest money-back guarantee
We’ve tested over 80 VPNs over the years, and CyberGhost has always stood out as one of the most beginner-friendly choices. We have always been able to unblock Netflix, play online games, and download torrents with CyberGhost. All this for $2.19 per month on the two-year plan is an absolute steal.
Why we picked CyberGhost:
- Over 9,000 servers in 90+ countries, so chances of server congestion are smaller
- Works for streaming Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, and other major streaming services
- Dedicated P2P and gaming servers guarantee that you can download torrents or play games on those servers
- Long money-back guarantee: Use CyberGhost risk-free for 45 days on the six-month and two-year plans
Choose CyberGhost if you’re looking for a gaming or torrenting VPN provider because it has dedicated servers for both. It’s also a good choice if you’re using a VPN for the first time and don’t want to be bogged down by complicated menus.
You can read all about this affordable VPN service in our full CyberGhost review.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA): Cheap VPN with a massive server spread in the US
In our years of testing top VPN providers, we’ve yet to see a VPN like Private Internet Access with servers in all 50 US states. We tested many of these US IP addresses, and we were able to stream American Netflix and download torrents without any trouble. Cost-wise, it has a cutthroat two-year deal ($2.19 per month), which is about $0.66 cheaper than Surfshark’s two-year offer.
Why we picked Private Internet Access (PIA):
- Servers in 84 countries and 50 US states for more than enough server options
- Free email breach scanner included in all plans
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections: great for a large household
- Get a full refund within 30 days of your first purchase
- MACE feature blocks ads and trackers
- Why it’s third: Servers sometimes take a while to connect
We recommend Private Internet Access if you need a US IP address to access a geo-blocked website. This includes streaming HD movies on US-based streaming platforms like Max, Hulu, and Tubi TV or watching live sports on ESPN.
If you want to learn more about this excellent cheap VPN service, read our full PIA review.
4. FastestVPN: Bargain VPN with a lifetime subscription
FastestVPN has the cheapest monthly and yearly plans of any VPN on this list. In our speed tests, it provided decent speeds, and it has strong security features despite its small server network. For less than $2 per month, you can get a one-year plan — which is a price point that no one else has beaten.
Why we picked FastestVPN:
- Only $40 for a lifetime account
- Unix-based servers help you download torrents faster and more smoothly
- Freebies with every FastestVPN subscription: a free ad blocker, anti-malware software, a NAT firewall, a password manager, and 2TB of Internxt cloud storage
We recommend FastestVPN for accessing the most popular torrenting sites because of its P2P-optimized servers.
Thinking about purchasing a VPN once and for all? We recommend FastestVPN. It offers a lifetime plan for only $40. In other words, as long as you pay $40 upfront, you can use the VPN forever — without ever having to pay again. It’s the only VPN on this list that offers a lifetime plan.
Read more about this cheap VPN service provider in our FastestVPN review.
5. AdGuard VPN: Affordable VPN ideal for browsing in restrictive countries
AdGuard, which only launched in 2020, is a relatively new VPN that offers many innovative features. Its AdGuard VPN protocol masks your VPN connection to avoid detection in countries that restrict internet freedom. Its best deal is the two-year plan, which lets you get AdGuard for only $2.04 per month.
Why we picked AdGuardVPN:
- Servers in 65+ countries, which signals how aggressive this relatively new VPN is at adding locations
- Limited free version offers 3 GB of free data each month
- Proprietary AdGuard VPN protocol makes it difficult for anyone to know you’re using a VPN
- Use AdGuard on up to 10 devices
- App available in 30 languages: great option for users whose native languages aren’t regularly supported by VPN services
- All purchases covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee
We recommend AdGuard if you are going to internet-restrictive countries like Russia and China, thanks to its stealth protocol, which can help you bypass online censorship and remain undetected.
Read more about this secure VPN in our full AdGuard VPN review.
6. Windscribe: A cheap VPN that allows you to build your own plan
Windscribe has one of the cheapest monthly plans on the VPN market. The best deal is the “Build a Plan” option, which allows you to only pay for specific server locations. In our tests, we found Windscribe a good choice for streaming and torrenting, although its slow speeds might disrupt your experience. If you’re not sure about Windscribe, you can check out its free plan, which is one of our best free VPNs.
Why we picked Windscribe VPN:
- Multiple VPN servers in more than 65 locations
- “Build a Plan” option allows you to pay only for what you use
- Unlimited simultaneous connections: great if you want to share your VPN connection with others
- Unblocks Netflix US and other streaming providers
- Allows you to download torrents on its servers
We recommend Windscribe for budget-conscious users who don’t need an extensive server network. The Build a Plan option allows you to choose a server location and unlimited data for $1 each. For instance, you can choose the UK and US server locations for $1 each and also get unlimited data for $1, amounting to a minimum of $3. You can change your server choices at any time.
You can also read our full Windscribe review to find out more about this affordable VPN.
7. Atlas VPN: Cheap long-term VPN with a free plan
In our VPN tests, we discovered that Atlas VPN provides decent speeds and can unblock Netflix and other streaming services. The one-year plan is cheap compared to many of the top VPN providers. However, the best deal is the three-year plan (for $1.83 per month), which includes three free months of use.
Why we picked Atlas VPN:
- Over 1,000 servers in 49 countries
- Free plan: try out the VPN for as long as you want before making a purchase
- Perfect three-year plan for people who want a long-term VPN
- Unlimited simultaneous connections to use the VPN on as many devices as you want
We recommend Atlas VPN for people who want a VPN for the long haul. It’s the only VPN on this list with a three-year plan. Plus, you can use one subscription on an unlimited number of devices, like Surfshark.
Atlas VPN is a free VPN, so you can test it for as long as you want, although you’re limited to servers in the Netherlands and the US. If you want to make an outright purchase, your purchase is covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
You can learn more about this low-cost VPN in our full-length Atlas VPN review.
How We Picked the Best Cheap VPN Services
While price was a key factor, it wasn’t the only thing we considered when preparing our cheapest VPN list. Here’s everything we took into account when selecting the best cheap VPNs.
- Can these cheap VPNs keep you safe? All the VPN services on our list come with key security and privacy features, including solid VPN protocols, automatic kill switches, and airtight no-logging policies.
- Are these affordable VPNs fast and reliable? All VPNs on this list provide decent connection speeds, making them ideal for anything from streaming, torrenting, online gaming sessions, video conferences, and other bandwidth-heavy activities.
- Do they offer decent server coverage? Large server networks ensure less server crowding and also increase your odds of beating online censorship in your part of the world. Having specialized servers for torrenting and streaming is always a nice bonus.
- Do they provide good value for the money? We checked the features and performance of each cheap VPN against their pricing. Each provider got extra points for a generous refund policy, a free version of the software, more simultaneous connections, and free or cheap goodies like password managers, cloud storage, affordable port forwarding, and dedicated IPs.
Beware of "Too Good to Be True" Offers:
Sometimes, unofficial websites and fora will offer expensive premium VPNs at jaw-dropping prices. These are often pirated or cracked VPNs and can be very dangerous to your device. It’s entirely possible to get a cheap VPN, but make sure that you’re getting the real deal.
Final Thoughts: Are Cheap VPNs Worth It?
Cheap VPN services can certainly offer you everything you need at an affordable price. After all, Surfshark is one of the overall best VPNs on our list, competing with the likes of NordVPN and ExpressVPN. All the VPNs in this article have industry-standard encryption, VPN protocols, and a no-logs policy.
You don’t have to break the bank at all to get good VPN protection. Surfshark, our best cheap VPN, offers a wide server network, fast speeds, and excellent streaming performance.
Need a VPN for specific purposes? We’ve got you covered. Check out some of the articles below:
- Best VPNs for Online Banking: Protect Your Bank Account
- The Best VPN for Business
- The Best VPN for School: Top VPNs for Students
- Best VPNs for Crypto Trading and Bitcoin
Do you have a question about cheap VPNs? Simply click on any of the questions below to see the answer.
Surfshark is the best cheap VPN. Besides the low price, Surfshark offers the best VPN protocols, including WireGuard and OpenVPN. It also offers more than 3,000 servers in 100 countries, and prices start from $2.30 per month.
Here are a few things to look for when choosing inexpensive VPN services:
- A large server network
- Support for various protocols, including OpenVPN and WireGuard
- Cheap long-term pricing, discounts and money-back guarantees
- Ability to connect to multiple devices
- Fast and stable connections
Unlike free VPN providers, cheap VPNs will cost you some money. However, the best cheap VPNs ensure you get your money’s worth and avoid the problems of free VPNs. These issues include speed limitations, data limits, and a limited server network.
Yes, they are! Cheap VPNs have basic security features, such as robust encryption protocols, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. You can also get advanced security features like multi-hop VPN servers and dedicated IPs. If you’re in doubt about your cheap VPN’s security, you can always test your VPN to make sure!